Content Creation Associate
The Charter Cities Institute is a rapidly-growing nonprofit research organization that is empowering new cities with better governance to lift tens of millions of people out of poverty. We are a cutting-edge, well-funded organization, composed of researchers, communicators, international developers, partnership experts and more, all dedicated to building the ecosystem for charter cities.
The Content Creation Associate will work with the Head of Communications to execute the visual portions of a comprehensive communications strategy outlined by the Head of Communications. This will include: extensive graphic design (papers, infographics, marketing collateral and more); brand creation; video editing (largely editing short form video for social media); desktop publishing (formatting books); and other activities that further the mission of the Charter Cities Institute. The Charter Cities Institute (and the communications team) is small but rapidly growing, so the Associate will need to be comfortable contributing to a wide variety of activities in furtherance of our mission.
• Digital and social media content creation: Create memes, infographics and short form video for social media distribution. The Associate will be responsible for upkeep of the CCI YouTube page, including creating and packaging videos and generally ensuring that a consistent, engaging product is shared with the public.
• Brand building and collateral design: The Associate will help create a visible and identifiable brand for CCI and associated projects and organizations, including the development of a visual aesthetic that can be replicated across websites, social media, publications, newsletters, and more. You will apply graphic design skills to create engaging collateral, format & design books and academic papers, and generally “level up” all content we create and disseminate.
• External communications: Design newsletters (sent via MailChimp); work on public-facing communications projects (e.g., design and distribution of collateral including video, one-pagers, websites, reports, etc.); and create attractive content for use by our various departments, including research, partnerships and development.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a relevant subject preferred; design or other grad school training helpful.
• Experience: At least 3 years of design and editing experience, including digital strategy, content management, web design, e-mail, and social media. Extensive graphics design experience is required, as is some video edit experience. Experience in international development, public policy, economics or a similar subject matter is also a plus.
• Attitude and passion: An entrepreneurial attitude, willingness to independently identify solutions to new challenges, and intellectual curiosity are required.
• Skills and knowledge: Attention to detail, technical skills, and excellent organization are required. Proficiency with contemporary communications technologies, graphic design programs, and major social media platforms is required. Fluency in English is required, additional languages are a plus.
Expectations and Culture
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. We recently moved into beautiful new offices in the heart of the District. We're a small team, so we frequently socialize as well, with regular (but optional) lunches, after-work outings, and weekend activities. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, so candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
The Charter Cities Institute offers generous benefits, including health & dental insurance, education reimbursement, unlimited vacation days, book reimbursement, a 401k, and more. Salary is based on experience.
This is initially a full-time contracted position through the end of 2021, with the possibility of it becoming permanent for the right candidate. You will be expected to regularly work in our D.C. office, with some work from home accommodations available. Please apply within or send a cover letter, resume and relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “Content Creation Associate”.