About the Charter Cities Institute
The Charter Cities Institute is a non-profit research organization focused on empowering new cities with better governance to lift tens of millions of people out of poverty.
We are a team of researchers, developers, communicators and more, committed to building the ecosystem for charter cities by:
- Creating legal, regulatory, and planning frameworks;
- Advising and convening key stakeholders including governments, new city developers, and multilateral institutions;
- Influencing the global agenda through research, engagement, and partnerships
As the organization grows, we are hiring our first ever Digital Media Associate, who will be based out of our Washington DC offices, working with the Head of Communications.
The Digital Media Associate will work with the Head of Communications – and occasionally other CCI leadership – to execute on a comprehensive communications strategy as outlined by the Head of Communications. This strategy will include media and stakeholder engagement, social media management, meme creation, analytics, website management, and other activities that further the mission of the Charter Cities Institute -- to lift tens of millions of people out of poverty by building the ecosystem and set of best practices for charter cities. The Charter Cities Institute (and the communications team) is small but rapidly growing, so the Associate will need to be comfortable contributing to a wide variety of activities in furtherance of our mission.
- Media engagement: Assist the Head of Communications in executing a short and long-term media strategy that identifies key publications to target for promotion of CCI activities and placement of op-eds, quotes, and other materials authored by CCI staff. The Associate will also research, identify and track key journalists so that CCI can build and maintain relationships with them to further promote CCI publications and activities. The Associate will also seek non-traditional media partners – blogs, podcasts, etc. – to help further CCI outreach. Public relations skills and experience helpful, including press release writing, journalist networking and other engagement strategies.
- Digital and social media management: Maintain a consistent and effective voice across social media platforms and in CCI publications. The Associate will track views, engagement, and other metrics across the CCI website, podcast, newsletter, social media, and other channels to continually inform the broader communications strategy and grow social media presence. The Associate should understand and actively follow the day-to-day social media trends of CCI stakeholders and work to maximize engagement. The Associate will be responsible for upkeep and promotion of the CCI YouTube page, including creating and packaging videos and generally ensuring that a consistent, engaging product is shared with the public.
- Internal communications: Coordinate communications team functions with other departments to maximize efficiency, brand consistency, and generally keep communications operations functioning effectively. The Associate will use our CRM (HubSpot) to ensure that all information is being tracked and well organized.
- External communications: Manage the twice-monthly newsletters (sent via MailChimp), including design and distribution; work with the Head of Communications on podcast production and distribution. Assist the Head of Communications in working with the research team to identify audiences for publications, strategize how best to release publications to maximize impact, and work on the design and presentation of research publications.
- Administrative support: Proactively manage and maintain the calendar and contacts of the Head of Communication; arrange internal and external appointments and anticipate needs for information and materials. Prepare expense forms, reimbursements, meeting agendas, documents, and other necessary materials.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in a relevant subject (e.g., communications, marketing, etc.) preferred.
- Experience: At least 2 years of communications work experience. Demonstrated record of successful execution of digital communications objectives. Experience with digital strategy including content management, CRM’s, e-mail, and social media. Experience in international development, public policy, or economics is also a plus.
- Attitude and passion: An entrepreneurial attitude, willingness to independently identify solutions to new challenges, and intellectual curiosity are required.
- Skills and knowledge: Attention to detail, technical skills, and excellent organization are required. Proficiency with contemporary communications technologies and major social media platforms is required. Fluency in English is required, additional languages are a plus.
Expectations and Culture
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. We recently moved into beautiful new offices in the heart of the District. We're a small team, so we frequently socialize as well, with regular (but optional) lunches, after-work outings, and weekend activities. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, so candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
This is a full time position. The Charter Cities Institute offers generous benefits, including health & dental insurance, education reimbursement, unlimited vacation days, book reimbursement, a 401k, and more. Salary is based on experience.
Please apply within or send a cover letter, resume and relevant work samples to email@example.com with a subject line of “Digital Media Associate”.