The Charter Cities Institute is a rapidly-growing nonprofit research organization that is empowering new cities with better governance to lift tens of millions of people out of poverty. We are a cutting-edge, well-funded organization, composed of researchers, communicators, international developers, partnership experts and more, all dedicated to building the ecosystem for charter cities.
The Graphic Designer will work with the Head of Communications to execute the visual portions of a comprehensive communications strategy outlined by the Head of Communications. This will include: graphic design (logos, infographics, marketing collateral, and more); brand creation; desktop publishing (formatting academic papers and books); and other activities that further the mission of the Charter Cities Institute. The Charter Cities Institute (and the communications team) is small but rapidly growing, so the Designer will need to be comfortable contributing to a wide variety of activities in furtherance of our mission.
• Media creation: Create memes, infographics, logos and other items for use on existing and future CCI channels.
• Brand building and collateral design: Help create and update a visible and identifiable brand for CCI and associated projects and organizations, including the development of a visual aesthetic that can be replicated across websites, social media, publications, newsletters, and more.
• External communications: Design newsletters (sent via MailChimp); work on public-facing communications projects (e.g., design and distribution of collateral including one-pagers, decks, reports, etc.); and generally “level up” all visual content we create and disseminate.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a relevant subject preferred; design or other grad school training helpful.
• Experience: At least 2 years of design experience. Experience in international development, public policy, or academia is a plus.
• Attitude and passion: An entrepreneurial attitude, willingness to independently identify solutions to new challenges, and intellectual curiosity are required.
• Skills and knowledge: Attention to detail, technical skills, and excellent organization are required.
Expectations and Culture
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. We recently moved into beautiful new offices in the heart of the District. We're a small team, so we frequently socialize as well, with regular (but optional) lunches, after-work outings, and weekend activities. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, so candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
The Charter Cities Institute offers generous benefits, including health & dental insurance, education reimbursement, unlimited vacation days, book reimbursement, a 401k, and more. Salary is based on experience.
This is initially a part-time position (approximately 20 hours per week), with the possibility of it becoming full-time for the right candidate. Please apply within or send a cover letter, resume and relevant work samples to email@example.com with a subject line of “Graphic Designer”.