Job Title: Head of Operations
General Expertise: Improving and streamlining non-profit operations
The Charter Cities Institute is a non-profit building the ecosystem for charter cities. We are hiring a Head of Operations to work with the Executive Director to set annual goals, develop and execute strategic plans, ensure effective delivery of programs, set budgets, and other finances, streamline recruiting, and evaluate organizational performance. The Charter Cities Institute is a small team, so the Head of Operations will need to be comfortable working on high-level strategy as well as getting their hands dirty day-to-day. The ideal candidate has additional experience in international development, both with high-level research and on the ground application. This is a unique opportunity to get inside a fast-growing, impactful non-profit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning: Develop annual and quarterly plans, ensure those plans are effectively executed, and that each team has adequate resources to succeed. Knowledge of Asana a plus.
Coordination: Be responsible for ensuring effective coordination between the Research, Communications, Partnerships, and Development Departments. Ensure that responsibilities are clearly delineated, there is timely delivery of outputs, help remove blockers to effective execution.
Paperwork: Ensure CCI is compliant with all relevant paperwork, including taxes, registration, etc. This is particularly important as CCI works in emerging markets so we need to ensure we are fully compliant with relevant registrations and regulations.
New Initiatives: Work closely with the Executive Director to develop new initiatives, strategize about how to streamline processes, and make sure OKRs are being met.
Budget and Finance: Works with the executive team to create annual and quarterly budgets, and ensure budgets are being followed. Makes timely payment to contractors and other service providers and ensures that donations/ revenue forms are appropriately accounted for.
Hiring and Retention: Streamline our hiring process, improve our employee reviews, and ensure we have a competitive compensation package.
Events: Ensure that preparation for events are progressing in a timely manner and that different departments are meeting relevant milestones for attendees, speakers, promotion, etc.
Tools: Ensure CCI has the best work tools (Notion, Zoom, Hubspot, Asana, etc.) available for our purpose and is using them as necessary to improve our productivity.
• The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial. They will see processes and other areas that can be improved and take the initiative to make those improvements.
• Have strong organizational skills. They will create a structured environment to ensure the CCI team has everything they need to succeed.
• Communicate effectively, particularly through writing. CCI has a strong writing culture and as we grow it is imperative to ensure effective communication internally and with external stakeholders.
• Have a high level of attention to detail. They ensure that we aren't missing anything on our programs and research projects.
• The ideal candidate is intellectually curious and has a passion for charter cities.
Background & Evaluation Criteria:
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred
• 5+ years’ experience working with senior leadership or executive team
• Experience with Hubspot and Asana a plus
• International development experience preferred
• 3+ years project management experience
• Develops and nurtures relationships with staff across functions, geographies and teams
• Proven ability to have direct difficult conversations with leaders and staff at all levels of the organization
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. We recently moved into beautiful new offices in the heart of the District and are presently working in-person, while closely monitoring Covid protocols. We're a small team, so we frequently socialize as well, with regular (but optional) lunches, after-work outings, and weekend activities.
Remuneration & Details:
The role is for a full-time position based in Washington, DC. Travel is TBD. The Charter Cities Institute offers a very competitive benefits package, including health, vision, dental insurance, a 401k, continuing education allowance, and other benefits.
To apply, please apply within, or send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (all in PDF) to email@example.com with a subject line of “Head of Operations”