Job Posting: Head of Communications
The Head of Communications will work with the Executive Director to develop and execute on a communications strategy. Their responsibilities will include formulating a communications strategy, managing social media, promoting events, communicating our activities to many different stakeholders, and drafting op-eds. The Charter Cities Institute is a small team, so the Head of Communications will need to be comfortable contributing to a wide variety of activities. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Responsibilities of Head of Communications
- Develop a two-year media strategy, what outlets do we want to target, what journalists should we build relationships with, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with different journalists and media outlets
- Help get op-eds, quotes, etc, in highly-read outlets including the Financial Times, Economist, and Wall Street Journal
- Maintain a consistent voice across CCI social media channels
- Help draft op-eds, press releases, blog posts, and other forms of communication
- Communicate the progress we are making with our current donors by writing reports, meeting in person, etc.
- Make charter cities cool
- Prepping researchers for media appearances
- Pitches media for expert commentary for CCI researchers
- Help plan and promote events
- Work with the research team so they better understand how to communicate their findings
- Help develop an aesthetic for the Charter Cities Institute brand
- Bachelor's degree
- 7+ years communications experience
- Familiarity with international development and charter cities
- Experience in a small, nimble communications department
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledge of various outlets for our work and relationships with editors
- Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn
- Entrepreneurial ability and interest in figuring out solutions to new challenges
- Strong presentation skills
- Passion for charter cities
The Charter Cities Institute expects colleagues to work hard, including some nights and weekends when necessary, not because you have to, but because you're passionate about charter cities and making the world a better place. We enjoy tackling big challenges and figuring out new problems, and recognize that it takes hard work to build something great.
The Charter Cities Institute greatly values our office culture. Our staff is intellectually curious and enjoys exploring a wide variety of topics, not all of which are directly related to charter cities. We're a small team, so we frequently go out to lunch as a group, and get drinks together a handful of times per month (though this is not required). Candidates should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
The role is for a full time position. The Charter Cities Institute offers health and dental insurance. Please send a cover letter and resume to Emmanuel@cci.city.